Skip to main content

Are you aware that chocolate contains a chemical which proves toxic to dogs?

“Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs and other animals. Generally speaking, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains, and therefore the more poisonous it is. White chocolate contains very little theobromine and although it is unlikely to cause theobromine poisoning, it is still very fatty and can make your dog ill.

Chocolate poisoning can initially cause vomiting and diarrhoea, but may lead to excitability, twitching, tremors, fitting and life threatening problems with the heart.

Each year, reports of dogs with chocolate poisoning increase dramatically around Christmas and Easter. During these periods take extra care to ensure that all chocolate is kept out of the reach of your dog. Although chocolate wrappers are not poisonous, they can cause an obstruction if eaten. This can be very dangerous and may require surgical intervention. Signs of an obstruction may include vomiting, lethargy, your dog being off their food, not defecating or finding it difficult to defecate”.

An extract from The Kennel Club Dog Poisons in your kitchen

Our advice is to keep chocolate away from your pets – possibly a good excuse to eat your Easter eggs as quickly as you can and keep your dog safe and inside the house if you’re having an ‘Easter Egg’ hunt in the garden!

Vets and nurses please add this video to your playlist to help spread the word about chocolate poisoning in dogs. Click to view video